CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I Give into My Addictions...er I Mean Cravings

I would love to blame it on my sweet husband, but I guess it was really my fault. But he totally enabled it afterwards. I hadn't been too bad about eating on our trip- I had Special K Red Berries mixed with Sunbelt banana nut crunch cereal for breakfast and usually a turkey sandwich for lunch. We actually ate out for dinner every night tho. Besides that, I wasn't too bad. What you probably don't know is that I have this huge addiction to chips and dip. Especially AE dip. I haven't been able to get it any of the places I have lived except my home town, so it has always been one of the first things I will buy. Now in the past, I would eat chips and dip until I was sick to my stomach. I have since learned to eat with moderation now. But I was not even going to have any. Then party day came. And we were sitting in the hotel waiting for everyone to get there so we could order some pizza and I was hungry. My husband was going to go to the store to get some soda and plates and what did I ask him to get? You got it! Chips and dip. He told me no. I said Yes. He said no... you get it- he was looking out for me. But eventually I won. I only ate a few though. I was actually really good about it. No second helpings or anything. But then we had some left over. And after caving once, it was easier to do again, and again and again. Then at the store, he decided that he was going to buy some more for him to have at home. Well, actually he was going to get me some too, but I told him I didn't need any. But he got it for himself instead. I wasn't going to have any, but when we got home to an empty fridge what did I go for? Yep- his chips and dip. I just made excuses- told him that if I was an alcoholic he wouldn't be buying beer. But anyway, I caved again.

So cravings are a huge thing. Fore most everyone I think. And I have a very serious opinion about it. For me, I have always had cravings. Even as a teenager- but that was back when I could eat what ever I wanted when ever I wanted and still looked good. Now not so much. BUT, I still have cravings. And I have found that if I don't give into the craving, I'm not satisfied. I have tried to ignore it and eat something else, but it never satisfies me. So if I give in (or just accept that it is a fact of life) and indulge just a little I am satisfied. So that is what I do. And it's not like I have cravings all the time. But I do get them more frequently than I would like.

I have similar feelings about dieting too. I will admit- I don't eat very healthy food. That is one area that could use some serious making over (which I am working on). So this year, I really want to work on eating better. But at the same time, I am still going to enjoy the food I love. I'm not going to cut out carbs- I love bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes. In fact, I'm not going to cut out any food groups- it's my belief that that iCheck Spellings not a healthy lifestyle. And that is the key to it- I need a lifestyle that I can live with- on a permanent basis. Not just a few weeks or months. I'm not going to do a diet that is strict but gives me a free day. I'm sure these things might speed up my weight loss and help melt my fat. But I just can't imagine a life of being constantly miserable because I am so focused on what I can and can't eat. In fact, I refuse to live that way. What I will do, is eat things more moderately. Not as many sweets or salty foods. I will eat more fruits and vegetables. Also, I need to eat more often. I really believe that my body is very possibly in starvation mode because I don't eat much. I have been told by so many people that I need to eat more and eat more frequently- something that is surprisingly really hard for me. But I am going to make it happen. I just need to get a game plan to make it work! Wish me luck!!

4 comments:

So In Love said...

I totally get that. I couldn't imagine being on an actual "diet". Eating is such a wonderful thing, and its very much so about moderation. We have been working on the eating at home thing, and it's going great. I know that you can get to where you want, and I wish you the very best of luck, and I'm always praying for ya, and I'm always here to talk or anything.

Heidi Baker said...

Jena, I honestly think you look great...so there's that. One program I like (and recently took up again) is Weight Watchers Online. Seriously, it is awesome! It costs $60 for three months, but you get to eat pretty much whatever you want. Dylan and I are both on it and I would recommend it to anyone! :) And I totally hear ya about the chips and dip cravings. De'lish!

mamajena said...

I have actually thought about weight watchers too. I have a friend who did it a few years ago and lost a ton of weight. Do you really get to eat what ever you want? I remember one day she went to taco bell wtih me and got a taco salad and she said it took up all her points for the day. (but maybe that's why you shouldn't eat out!!) And thanks, by the way for thinking I look great! You are so sweet Heidi!! I will have to look into weight watchers for sure!

Heidi Baker said...

Jena, yesterday I had a bowl of Wheaties for breakfast, a mocha frappuccino, a chicken panini, four mini powdered sugar donuts, a diet snapple, and shrimp tika massala!...and I still had four points left to use at the end of the day. I love this program! Good luck, my friend!

Post a Comment